Graduate in only six weeks’ time!
Our program is a TESL Canada Recognized program
Teach students in Canada and throughout the world.
Program(TESL)Teaching English as a second Language Program
Duration120 Hours (20 hours practicum)
CertificationTESL Canada as Professional Standard Level 1
Method of StudyFull Time
The objective of the TESL program at UCCBT Vancouver is to provide participants with the hands on experience, theory, and training to become fully qualified English as Second Language teachers in Canada or abroad.
This program is recognized by TESL Canada. Students who successfully complete this program and have a degree may apply for TESL Canada’s Professional Standard Level One certification.
|Week1||Adult Education, Learning Theories, Teaching Methodologies, Canadian Language Benchmarks|
|Week2||Class Management, Lesson Planning, Curriculum Development, Testing and Assessments|
|Week3||Teaching Grammar, Lesson Simulations, feedback, Games and Activities|
|Week4||Teaching Speaking, Class Observations, ESL Industry and Teaching Writing|
|Week5||Teaching Reading, Professional Development, Lesson Simulations and Teaching Listening|
|Week6||Practicum Class Instruction and Teacher Trainer Instruction|
Upon completion of the program you will be qualified to teach English as a Second Language in Canada and Abroad.
Second Language programs are offered in the private and public sectors. Teaching opportunities exist in the following areas within Canada.
Language Schools: The most popular locations are Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal; however there are programs in many other centres.
Universities and post-secondary institutions: Most Canadian universities and post-secondary institutions have attached language programs.
ELSA (LINC): Government sponsored programs for new immigrants are run in every Canadian province.
Tutoring: Either on your own, or with an agency, there are always openings for ESL tutors for non-native speaking school children
All applicants for the UCCBT Teaching English as a second Language Program in Vancouver are required to meet the following admission requirements.
- 1. Grade 12 equivalent or mature student status (at least 18 years of age)
- 2. Language proficiency in the language of instruction
English Language Proficiency is demonstrated by either
- A score of at least 80% on the Upper Career College of Business and Technology Entrance Exam;
- A TOEFL score of 557/220/83, IELTS score of 5.5 overall or a TOEIC score of 750 +; or
- An English language program completed at one of the following schools through an articulation agreement;
- Study English in Canada: Completion of General ESL Level 7
- Pacific Gateway International College: Completion of the English Communication Program
- Cornerstone Academic College: Completion of the Real Speaking Program
- King George International College: Completion of the Foundation of the ESL Level 4 program.
Click here for more information on our Admissions Process.
UCCBT Admissions Advisors are ready to answer any questions you may have.
Please contact us at 604-568-8098 between 9:00am – 5:00pm to talk directly to a member of our staff or to book an information session to find out more about this and the other programs offered by UCCBT Vancouver.